Monday, January 26, 2009

A Reading Assignment from Dad



Most of you have never heard of Clayton Christensen. He's a Harvard professor and business consultant who is famous for his research and publications on disruptive innovations and their effect in the marketplace. He's a pretty smart guy, even in the brainy crowd he hangs around with. He's also a faithful Latter-Day Saint. The photo above is of him on his mission to Korea. Here's his Bio

Can I make a reading assignment to our family for the week? I'd like you all to read something he wrote. It's called "Why I Belong and Why I Believe"

Click here and take a few moments to read it. I would like to get your comments about it either in the blog post comments or via email.

2 comments:

d jane said...

I really liked this article. He gives a good reminder of why we are here: to be Christ-like. The story of his time at Oxford was very touching. Loved the bit about Mitt Romney helping with the move with a broken collar-bone. That's the kind of Pres we need!!! Thanks for the article Daddyo. Miss you and love you!

Keekers

brittkid said...

Thanks Dad for recommending this article. I loved it. Things that made an impression/motivated me:

#1 I've heard it said "organized religion just isn't for me." To which I reply "heaven forbid we're ORGANIZED!" As Latter Day saints we're organized in such a way as to provide regular opportunities to serve and become Christ like. Great reminder.

#2 I have read the Book of Mormon with the attitude of "Ok Lord, here I am reading the Book of Mormon wanting to know if it's true and you promised to tell me if I read and asked so...go." I have never received a burning bosom, bolt of lighting type answer. So I was fascinated by how Clayton Christensen went about getting his answer. He did several things which I have never done. One is that he set aside an hour every night to read and he did it consistently for an extended amount of time. Two, he stopped regularly to think about what he personally should be receiving or understanding from what he just read. And three, after every single page he knelt down and asked aloud if the book is true. He must have asked hundreds of times. I definitely need to re-think my studying/seeking strategy.

#3 He lives the gospel. He consistently (I've written that word a couple times now....hmmmm) signs himself and his kids up to help their neighbors. He continues to read the Book of Mormon regularly. He uses his Priesthood. (Healing the sick) He bears his testimony.

What a great example to follow.