Sunday, January 5, 2020

Noise

This was an unpublished post from September 2009:

I've been thinking lately about how much noise there is in the world. There is the ambient noise that's just part of the background everywhere we go, then there's television, radio, cable, internet music streaming, movies, Facebook, Twitter, phone calls and incessant texts, and the chatter of all the people around us. There's also a sort of noise of a different type. I noticed it yesterday when I took Mom to the Fashion Place Mall in Murray, to swap out a defective iPhone at the Apple store there. The mall was noisy in the usual sense, but there was also a lot of non-audible noise on display in so many people that roamed around the place. Their fashionable clothing, hairstyles, and accessories were crying out to be noticed. We've grown accustomed to constant agitation, to the point that I think we don't even notice the noisiness, complexity and clutter of it all. We may even get to the point where we feel uncomfortable with silence and simplicity.

No comments: